Thursday, February 18, 2010

Boy3

I meant to post this last week, but didn't
so here goes.

Boy3:

12 years ago, you came into my life.
Even before you were born we knew you, because of a your kidneys, we knew you. Your mom and I got to pick your birth date. The day we picked that, was the day we gave you your name.

There was anticipation and fear as that date drew closer, you were loved and wanted. when you were born, and at least for the time being all was OK, it was a good thing. I was so relieved.

Fast forward 10 months later and you were about to get surgery, but you were sick beforehand, sick enough for us to go quickly to one of the best hospitals in the world ( at least IMHO). and see if they could make you right. they could and the surgery went through as planned.

Christmas eve, and you were relapsed, then airlifted back to the same hospital. No room for your mom or I, a quick packing job, and we followed. Your Grandma with us. I don't know if I ever told her, but at a few times , she kept me sane, focused on what I needed to do. Thank you.

A few days later( 1 week) you were OK. Your mom and I knew that there was going to be some testing on a yearly basis, for at least a little while. Even though I don't think you cared for all the testing every year, you bore it well, and when they said that you were not going to need it for a few years, it was a great relief for all of us. Even still, when you are sick, sometimes my heart skips and I worry that it could happen all again. You see, I thought we were going to lose you, and I was sure that I would never be able to bear that.

Now you are 12, I love the way you approach life, even though your brothers may not. You smile so easily, and enjoy things to the fullest. Even though I am a part-time parent now, and only see you on weekends, know this. I love you, and that can never change. You are one of the reasons, I can keep going on regardless of how much I feel life can suck right now.

Don't change too much. The world needs people like you.

Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment